Outstanding Community Outreach Examples
It's no surprise that many organizations across the world have seen the value and benefits of community service—particularly during the time of a global pandemic. Whether it's helping out a community or group in need, or contributing to a cause that your organization is passionate about, there has never been a better time to embrace community outreach in your facility.
Whether it's helping senior citizens or working to raise money for homeless shelters, there are tons of ways to make a difference and get started on your next community service project.
Community Outreach Stories to Inspire your Organization
Whether you are a small, locally owned business or a larger corporation with branches across the area, there are effective community service ideas that you and your team can enact.
Interested? Here's how to get started.
The Importance of Community Outreach
First of all, why is community service such an important part of any company or organization's ethos? Community outreach isn't just for non-profits for charities; for-profit organizations can play a huge role in changing the lives of community members for the better.
Not only is community service an important component of building happier lives for community members, it is also been shown to be a beneficial component of building happier lives for your team members, as well.
Benefits of Community Outreach
There a tons of physical, mental, and social benefits to community outreach and community service, including:
- Increasing self-confidence
- Fighting depression
- Staying physical active and healthy
- Providing new career opportunities
- Bringing fulfillment to your life
- Making new friends and connections
You want your team members to thrive and grow in their role at your organization or business, and investing in their wellbeing through community outreach is a fantastic avenue to consider. To get started, as your team what causes they are passionate about, and what, logistically, would be needed to give back to the community the way that they would like to. Here's how to get started with your next community service project.
Types of Community Outreach
How can you give back to your community? There are several ways of community service to consider:
- Devote one day a year to volunteering. One barrier to giving back in the community is finding enough time to do so; many people simply don't have enough free time and energy to volunteer for a cause. One great way around this is to take one day in a calendar year to close up shop and get together as a team and help a cause. Just be sure to set out of office email responses and take care of outstanding tasks before the day comes, and you will be ready to go.
- Involve your customers, students, or members in donating. Ask the community what causes they are passionate about, and to nominate a non-profit or charity to donate to next. This is a great way to give local organizations a boost of publicity on your platform, while discovering non-profits and causes you may not have been aware of before.
- Start a scholarship for regional students. High school students spend their final year feverishly searching for funding, and scholarships are a huge way that smart students with tons of potential—but not a lot of financial resources—make college more accessible. This can be a more time-intensive project, but it pays off in the end to be able to send a bright young student to university.
- Sponsor a local event. Is there a local community service event near you that occurs every year? Consider sponsoring the event as one huge and helpful way to give back. Non-profits don't have a lot of resources to work with, and every donation they receive helps them make a difference. Plus, event sponsorships are a great way to also get your name out there, and give your business some publicity.
Some popular groups and organizations that you could give back to include a nursing home, homeless shelter, Habitat for Humanity, animal shelter, local library, charities for people with special needs, or even an opportunity to coach a youth sports team.
Effective Community Outreach Examples
Here are a few examples of cities around the world who are providing exceptional community service through their outreach programs. Hopefully their programs give you some community service ideas!
The Homelessness Services Outreach Team (Vancouver, BC, Canada)
Launched in 2005, the City of Vancouver in British Columbia, Canada has devoted a team to addressing and assisting the city's unhoused population with finding housing options through assisted living, emergency shelters, and warming shelters.
Outreach staff also participate in community service events in partnership with other organizations such as the Carnegie Community Centre and Vancouver Coastal Health. This includes a weekly health and wellness workshop at the Downtown Eastside Community Health Centre, which provides meals and connections to services for marginalized women.
The Youth Services Division (Chicago, IL, United States)
According to the community service project The Youth Services Division, the City of Chicago in Illinois, United States represents 'a diverse population with different needs, including educational supports, income support for themselves and their families, and other means of connection to necessary social services.' With multiple programs available, this team has committed to helping provide Chicago's vulnerable youth population with a safety net.
The programs available include One Summer Chicago, which links youth with internship opportunities at government institutions and local organizations. This program is available to youth aged 14 to 24, so it also targets young adults who are not qualified as youth anymore, but may need assistance. In the summer of 2013, One Summer Chiago provided 18,000 summer jobs to young people.
The Center (New York City, NY, United States)
NYC's The Center is short for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Community Center and advocates for health, wellness and community service connection for New York's LGBTQ+ community. Since 1983, this organization has played a critical role in helping NYC residents connect, engage and celebrate their community.
The Center hosts more than 15,000 events a year, and provides a comprehensive platform for LGBTQ+ New Yorkers to find programs for their needs. The Center is 'a catalyst for progressive social change and a provider of critical services for the LGBTQ community', while also providing vital, intersectional services.
Take your Community Service Strategy to the Next Level with Xplor Recreation
Thinking about giving back to the community in a big way with some community service ideas? Xplor Recreation can help. With it, you can easily manage your next community service project, as well as book staff and volunteers, rooms, and equipment with one simple interface.
Xplor Recreation's member management system is a simple, user-friendly way to manage volunteers! With scheduling functions, online booking, event hosting, and more, it's the perfect start to building your volunteer base. If you have questions, learn more about Xplor Recreation’s community management software here.